The Canadian Action Party will ensure that its Parliamentary Reform Policy as found below is enforced.
Parliamentary Reform Policy
- Install a citizens’ recall that will allow the people to recall any errant politician or even Government by way of a petition at any time.
- End uncontrolled lobbying in order to eliminate the possibility of “Conflict of interest” such as when politicians leave office and then receive highly paid positions on boards of directors for legislation rendered while in office. Possibly tie this to their MP pensions.
- Create a system of proportional representation tied to the number of votes each party obtains, if this has not already been accomplished.
- We will make sure that our party whip ensures our MPs presence at voting time, not how they vote, and we would encourage other parties to do the same. Our MPs will always be free to vote in the best interests of their constituents.
- Require that Politicians will have to wait until minimum legal retirement age to receive a pension.
- If the Speaker of either House acts in a partisan manner they could be removed by a one thirds vote in either house.
- Abolish Omnibus Bills that are almost impossible to debate because they contain so many issues.
As one vote every 4 years with no public say in between is not a democracy, and so Parliament has devolved to a point where MPs have little responsibility to the people of Canada except at General Elections. Parliament, being dysfunctional, cannot be democratic. We need to return Parliament back to the people by giving them the power to recall perceived errant governments, parties or politicians